Books are best

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Technologic

Thanks to Daft Punk for the title of this post.
I am supposed to blog about some technological advancement that interests me this week.
1. Something I don't like - Site Pal. This is an application that allows one to create an animated talking head for your web site, online ad, whatever. It is creepy and weird and I don't like it. You may notice, I did not link to it...yes, you may thank me for sparing you.
2. Something I do look forward to learning more about are RSS feeds. While the prospect for being on the receiving end of the feeds doesn't excitement all that much at this point (I can surf myself, thank you very much), I think establishing a feed for various library things will be very cool. We in the Collections Department have a web site Collections Up Close that highlights recent acquisitions; I am very interested in using a RSS feed to enable us to let our patrons and other interested parties know when there is a new addition to this site (and therefore our collection). It may be a good way to keep in touch with potential donors as well as researchers.
3. I spent some quality time in the library stacks today. This served to remind me that no matter how cool some of the new fangled tools may be, nothing will replace the book. Clearly, the printing press is the most exciting technology of all time!

2 Comments:

Blogger saintpaulite said...

"the book is yer only man" said brendan sean butler joyce

11:38 AM  
Blogger A said...

Ok, so, I'm slow finding these things, and maybe that last comment is a troll and I should not say anything, but I cannot resist a response. The printing press probably is the greatest invention of all time. Think of it. Propelling western culture out of the Dark Ages, spreading light and knowledge to the populace...wow! Without the spread of knowledge available in books the control of information would probably still be in the hands of the Church, then where would we be? Yikes!

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home