Books are best

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Habit

My blog is called books are best, and therefore perhaps it's time to talk about a book.
I am currently immersed in Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics. We are reading this for my beloved alma mater's alumni group, which meets once a month to talk about great books. My school is St. John's College as anyone who knows me already knows. But this is not about school, not this time, it is about the Ethics.
Did you know that the Ethics is a guide book for raising children? Yeah, me neither, until reading it at this point in my life. It is about living the good life through virtue to achieve happiness and finding the mean enabling one to do it. It also highlights the importance of cultivating good habits, especially in the young. We read books to our daughter and try to get her to say please and thank you...what more can we do? Aristotle, why couldn't you be more specific?
Oh, and one last word about habit...I will be attempting to cultivate the habit in myself of writing here more often.

3 Comments:

Blogger saintpaulite said...

why is there no "rss" or "xml" button on your blog? how am i sposed to subscribe?

4:26 PM  
Blogger bookgirl said...

hey, saintpaulite, who told you how to turn your computer on?

11:20 PM  
Blogger Wm. said...

You asked (rhetotrically, I suppose), "Did you know that the Ethics is a guide book for raising children?"

Sure: it's heavy enough to carry a real threat should you consider corpooal punishment, and a reliable device for putting the little ones to sleep.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home